Sunday, 22 September 2013

#itwillfly


This saturday I journeyed out into the great DFW unknown to the first ever Red Bull Flugtag ('flying day' in German) in the US. I'd always seen the Red Bull commercials with the crazy animal shaped planes taking nose dives into water and thought it looked so fun. So when I heard the Flugtag was coming to the US for one day, in five cities, I was pretty pumped to hear one such city was Dallas.

It rained for a full day Friday, which made Saturday perfect with a nice pretend coastal breeze.
Some of my top 'flying vehicles' were the Napoleon Dynamite Lama plane, the 'Cornagus' (a corn on the cob with wings), 'Big Tex en fuego' (in remembrance of the burning of Big Tex last year), The Port-A-Potty plane including nude driver, and the Old-man-Elvis plane. Classic.

It was hilarious to see the construction of these planes. Most of them were literally duck-taped together. And it was even more hilarious to watch them take the plunge off the runway.
I walked around the lake and sat with my feet in the water to enjoy the experience. Although I was just out of speaker range, I was close enough to see the dance routine of each crew and the flight. Pretty fun day.

Check out the standings to see which city flew best!


K

No comments: